Terminal illness has several challenges associated with it. Emotional stress, Financial burden of loss of income and treatment. Most of the time hospice care is covered by Medicare and Medicaid. Other options may include commercial insurance, Out of pocket payment and Department of Veteran affairs.
How to choose a Hospice service for your loved ones
To select Hospice service you must consider the following points:
- Is hospice program is accredited or certified? This helps to determine the quality and standards of care.
- Do they have Medical director who is specialized in palliative care? This makes care reliable as these physicians are trained to provide hospice care under latest guidelines.
- Do they have pharmacist in their team to makes sure that medications are managed properly? Having dedicated pharmacist helps to keep the high quality of medication management.
- How they manage after hours care? Some Hospice companies do not provide regular care after business hours. So it is better to pick a company which has option of after hours care available whenever it is needed.
- Do they offer family support program? Many hospice provide respite care for the family members and caregivers. It always recommended to choose a company which has respite care option available for the clients.
- Do they offer spiritual care? Many hospice companies have Chaplin available for spiritual needs.
- Do they allow smooth transfer of service to another hospice company in case it is needed? Some times transfer of care is needed. Always find out if they facilitate transfer of care in case it is needed.
- How they will cover the cost of hospice care? Discuss all options of payment to make sure that it does not case additional burden on family.
- Do they have bereavement services available? It is very important for many families after patient expires. This service can help family recover from the trauma of the loss of a family member.
- What services will be included and supplies will be included? It is recommended
- To discuss the details of services and supplies to make sure that you get maximum benefit for your loved one.