For You. Call
At Contact Ameriprime Hospice, we’re here for you and your loved ones 24/7. For inquiries or suggestions, call us at (972) 590-8912 or fill out the form below and one of our compassionate staff members will connect with you soon.
Serving Dallas/Ft. Worth and Surrounding Areas
The Most Common Questions Asked About DFW Hospice Care
Patient has been diagnosed with a life-limiting condition with a prognosis of six months or less if their disease runs its normal course. Frequent hospitalizations in the past six months. Progressive weight loss (taking into consideration edema weight).
- “I know this wasn't an easy decision to make. ...
- “I don't like this, but we're going to do our best with this time.”
- “I'm sad, of course, but I'm also glad you're in a place where you don't have to fight so hard anymore.”
- “I'm praying for you to feel at peace and to know how much you're loved.”
Don't say, “It's going to be Okay”. It's an automatic and well-intended response, but don't try to reassure a friend or loved one that everything will end up just fine. A former Contact Ameriprime hospice nurse who is now battling an aggressive breast cancer says, “don't tell someone who is ill that they'll 'beat it".
Whatever you bring up, be sure to do so with kindness and compassion. Imagine if you were in their shoes before you say something so you have a better idea of how it may be received. Some conversation starters and examples are:
- Their funeral arrangements or plans: "Are you comfortable talking about your end-of-life wishes?" Follow this up with an offer of help, "I really want to make sure you have everything you want."
- "How are you doing today?"
- "Is there anything I can do for you today?"
- "Is there anything you'd like to do today?"
- "What would you like to talk about?" They may bring up their current experience, or may want to discuss a book, a movie, the news, or anything else. Just go with it, and follow their lead.
- "How are you feeling today?"
- "I just wanted to tell you how much you mean to me."
- "You've been the most incredible friend and I feel so lucky to have you in my life."